[Libreoffice-ux-advise] named formatting attributs overwrite automatic formatting attributs (paragraph / character)

Rafael Rocha Daud rrdaud at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:09:18 PDT 2012

Hello Maxime

This is intended behaviour. LibreOffice makes an assumption that when
you apply a style you want the paragraph to look like that, so it
overrides the direct formatting that had been applied to the whole
paragraph. The assumption works otherwise when the direct formatting was
affecting only a portion: you want the paragraph to look like the style,
but you want that portion to retain it's direct formatting.

Generally, direct formatting overrides styles, but they are not really
meant to be used in conjunction, but you still can if you want to. The
best thing to do in your specific case is to change the style itself so
it applies your bold atribute (or you may create a new style, based on
that one, to do that). The second best thing is to apply the direct
formatting after applying the style (but remember you will have to do
that for each paragraph you want that atribute in, and you will have to
re-do it if you later change the paragraph style again.

Hope that helps.