[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Fwd: Ubuntu Templates

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Sun May 20 10:34:56 PDT 2012

Hi Alex, all,

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 06:06:17PM +0200, Alexander Wilms wrote:
> The templates are now being collected here:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Call_for_Templates

great! Thanks.

> I am the author of 'vintage', 'fresh and serious' and 'hexagons' and
> I licensed them (and the other templates on the wiki page) under
> cc0/MPL/LGPLv3+, whatever you need. There's still one issue with the
> vintage template: It contains textures that are not licensed under
> the terms of cc0.
> I plan to replace them with some from this website:
> http://lostandtaken.com/gallery/vbooks3.html
>
> Are their terms of use enough, or do we need an explicit licensing
> statement? (Lost & Taken <http://lostandtaken.com> textures are made
> freely available for use in both personal and commercial projects
> including web templates, designs, and other materials intended for
> distribution. Attribution is appreciated, but not required.)

Ok. Taking vintage out of the set for now then. If we solve this before
branchoff, Ill squeeze it in still.

> I now have commit access in order to work on the templates. Micheal
> Meeks mentioned he'd prefer flat odf files since that would make it
> easier to spot differences in the git repository.

Well, I am for now focusing on the 25 default master pages that you see in the
right impress sidebar under "master pages" and "available for use". Those are
not templates in the sense that they are single-page (while a full presentation
template can have multiple pages). Having the full templates too in addition is
great too, but a bit of a different issue. Most of those can be downloadable
content, that is not shipped directly with the product.

As such I would pick only the most default slide from each template, except for
tyopgraphy, where the slides are different enough to not be just variations of
one topic/theme (totally different base color for example).

I will see if we can handle flat odf files in that setting.

So we are currently talking about two things:

- default master pages
  - impress only
  - stored in http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/extras/source/templates/layout/ in git
  - one page only
  - in the default install
  - should be small
  - should be generic
  - we currently have 25, I dont think we should have much more
- template sets
  - impress/calc/writer
  - currently best stored at http://templates.libreoffice.org/template-center
  - might be packaged as an addon package by Linux distros or be browsable for
    download later
  - downloadable content
  - multi-page themes
  - can be bigger and contain e.g. picture files
  - can be more topic-specific

Right now, I am most concerned with the "default master pages". I hope this
clears up some of the confusion.

> I could upload them, but someone else would need to help me with code
> changes.

I will help out with that. For now we have:

- 5 pages from typography
- 1 page from hexagons
- 1 page from lushgreen
- 1 page from brightblue (which will be a full template set/theme too)
- 5 pages of the templates from Ubuntu

Thats 13 new (one-slide) default master pages. If we stay with 25 default
master pages total, we would still keep 12 of the old ones. However, we do not
_have_ to keep all of them as I would hope to keep as few as possible of them,
finding those not too attractive.

So if somebody with a good design eye makes a selection of ~10-12 of the
current default master pages to keep would make me a happy man(*).

Best,

Bjoern

(*) to clarify: out of these http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/extras/source/templates/layout/