[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Another cry for unified behaviour in all documents

Daniel Mania daniel.mania at umb.no
Mon May 28 03:33:22 PDT 2012

Hello everybody!

As far as I understood, I am not the only one here who would like all
document types to behave the same. It is just too much work for anyone
to do anything about it. Well, I have to prepare a talk right now and
working with Impress is ... not easy. And again the main problem (in my
opinion) is that Impress documents behave completely different from
Writer documents, even though both work with the concept of styles. In
general I would describe Impress' behaviour as "restricting as a
straightjacket".
In Writer one has to edit a style to apply changes to all text that is
formatted in that style. In Impress one can change formatting of some
text and this will change the connected style automatically. It took
some time to figure that out and understand why the formatting dialog in
Impress is missing an "Apply" button. This is only one example of many
but I would like to bring up the restriction to predefined styles in
Impress as well. Why is the user restricted to 14 styles in 4 categories
and not given the opportunity to create new styles as in Writer or Calc
documents?
I think it is these kind of inconsistencies that scare away new users
and I still remember that, when I started using OpenOffice (RIP), I was
very frustrated and felt incredibly stupid because I was not able to
accomplish even the simplest of tasks. In the case of Impress I went so
far as to create talks in Writer and export them to PDF for presentation!

Is it not worth it starting to do something about this? I feel bad
suggesting this since I do not know how to program and cannot help much,
but I feel that LibreOffice would gain a lot from a "unified document
bahaviour", maybe even more than from new and fancy features!

Greetings,
DM

PS: Is there a way to customize LibreOffice by editing configuration
files (ini or xml)? I could help doing at least that and maybe some
other simple tasks.