[Libreoffice-ux-advise] simplifying the border width settings

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 18 03:52:46 PST 2012

Hey,

currently we have a large set of problems around borders that are to a
big deal caused by our too complex border behavior. In several bugs I
already mentioned that IMHO the only sane solution is to limit the
border width to maybe 3 or 4 different values that we can both control
in the view and in the export to PDF and to the printer. This would
also help to simplify the border handling in the cod beetween the
different applications.

Currently we support defining the border  width between 0.05 pts and
something like 10 pts (everything above 2pts is anyway too thick) but
displaying these borders creates several problems due to antialising
(fixed in 4.0 through disabling of border antialising) and that until
3.6 the view did some ugly hacks that showed wrong border widths in
the view and used the right ones when printing.

I propose to simplify this and limit the values to HAIRLINE, THIN,
MEDIUM and THICK with sensible values and map the old values to them.
This should not be such a big problem because until 3.6 at least the
UI behaved in a similar way due to a bug.

Do you have any suggestions to this proposal?

Regards,
Markus