[Libreoffice-ux-advise] simplifying the border width settings

Daniel Mania daniel.mania at umb.no
Mon Nov 19 01:32:39 PST 2012

Hei hei!

Why do we "need to keep being compatible" with Microsoft Office at all?
1) Users who switch from Microsoft Office do that for a reason and they
should expect some differences!
2) Document compatibility is a great idea, but until Microsoft Office
import works well enough, there is no point in cluttering up LibreOffice
with "legacy options". Anything more complicated than "Hello world" gets
messed up after importing it from MSO into LibreOffice.
As far as I know, there is a project working on Microsoft Office import
for OpenOffice, but I am pretty sure that will take a while. Until then,
most people are probably happy to get to see the textual content of an
MSO document. For everything else there is PDF (or even a parallel MSO
installation, if you are working in a bigger company).

How about cleaning up the LibreOffice interface, before introducing
additional elements? There are still smaller inconsistencies like the
table border button, which is only a pull down menu without a separate
pull down menu arrow and an "apply current setting" button next to each
other. Or the two different types of rectangle and circle shapes in Calc
and Writer ... Even though many of the other irregularities have been
cleaned up already.

Sorry for these blunt words, but I don't think that tiptoeing around MS
is such a good idea. Neither to attract new users or please companies
that are under Microsoft's spell, nor to satisfy old
LibreOffice/OpenOffice users.

Greetings,
Daniel M