[Libreoffice-ux-advise] simplifying the border width settings

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 01:54:16 PST 2012

On 19/11/12 10:32, Daniel Mania wrote:
> Hei hei!
>
> Why do we "need to keep being compatible" with Microsoft Office at all?
> 1) Users who switch from Microsoft Office do that for a reason and they
> should expect some differences!
> 2) Document compatibility is a great idea, but until Microsoft Office
> import works well enough, there is no point in cluttering up LibreOffice
> with "legacy options". Anything more complicated than "Hello world" gets
> messed up after importing it from MSO into LibreOffice.

the whole point of the new borders that were added in LO 3.4 was to
improve the Microsoft Office import/export fidelity.

> How about cleaning up the LibreOffice interface, before introducing
> additional elements? There are still smaller inconsistencies like the
> table border button, which is only a pull down menu without a separate
> pull down menu arrow and an "apply current setting" button next to each
> other. Or the two different types of rectangle and circle shapes in Calc
> and Writer ... Even though many of the other irregularities have been
> cleaned up already.

are you seriously trying to say that you think that the current border
UI that allows setting the width independently of the line style with a
simple text input widget, where many line widths do not actually make
sense for quite a number of line styles (e.g. try setting line widths <
1pt for double border styles and see how they look) is "clean" or
intuitive for the user and we shouldn't think about improving that ?