[Libreoffice-ux-advise] simplifying the border width settings

Daniel Mania daniel.mania at umb.no
Tue Nov 20 00:14:21 PST 2012

>  Michael
> are you seriously trying to say that you think that the current border
> UI ... is "clean" or intuitive for the user and we shouldn't think
> about improving that ?

No sorry, that should be changed. And I agree that it is a good idea to
make things look similar to MSO, _if_ it has to be re-worked anyways
_and_ the MSO version looks alright.
Personally, I never figured out these double line styles anyways. I
always assumed that double line styles should be proportional. E.g. "60
% black, 20 % white, 20 % black", instead of "2 pt black, X pt white, 1
pt black", with X being "width - 3 pt".
But I don't like to be restricted as in MSO and not being able to set
the line width myself. If the double line styles were proportional and
the line width could be given in the unit, that was set in options (e.g.
cm or mm instead of pt), I would be happier than with what MSO has to
offer. I'd even like to have customizable line styles, where I can set
the percentages (double lines, dotted lines) myself, but that's
daydreaming ...

> Cedric
> Mostly because users wants their documents to render the same way in
> all office suites. It's hard and when we already have things to get
> some bits working, it wouldn't make sense to destroy it completely.

Well, right now, more complicated documents don't render at all.
Couldn't we have the simple line styles from MSO and make them
selectable as easily as in MSO, but still let people the freedom to
customize them?

Daniel