[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Advice required on auto text resize (Impress)

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Oct 8 02:10:09 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-10-07 at 11:07 +0200, Mirek M. wrote:
>         I think this autofit feature is very disturbing if you are not
>         aware of it. From my point of view it should be removed
>         because if what you are writing does not fit in the available
>         room, you should write less words or add room (split the text
>         on another

	So - this is a nice idea. However - manually doing that is a massive
pain in the backside for the (non expert) slide creator. Of course,
ideally people should not be trying to cram their text onto slides - but
reality suggests they do.

	People tend to manually fiddle / re-word their slides to cram text in -
leaving not a pixel left for another character ;-)

	Then - they save that as .pptx import it on a different machine, with
different fonts and if the lines are re-wrapped - that inevitably pushes
their later bullets off the bottom of the slide, and then they get angry
[ seeing it often only as they present ].

	That IMHO is a -massive- UX drop-off; far worse than some transient
confusion about what font size to show in the toolbar while editing.
Having said that, I'd personally prefer to have some relative font
sizing shown there generally based on the style - but ... I'm mad like
that ;-)

> Also, if we have to keep autofit, it should be disabled for an object
> if the user overwrites the autofit size using the font size picker.

	Autofit is an interop feature; IMHO we have to keep it - if only to
interoperate with those who turned it on in MS Office.

	IMHO it should also be the default ~everywhere so we improve
interoperability generally - but ... ;-> if it behaves strangely, we
should fix that.

	ATB,

		Michael.