[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Advice required on auto text resize (Impress)

Daniel Mania daniel.mania at umb.no
Mon Oct 8 02:50:49 PDT 2012

Hei hei!

I agree with Mirek and think "Autofit" should be removed or optional
(with the default being "off").
And I don't think we have to take exporting presentations to PPTX into
consideration. The export to Microsoft Office is so bad (yes I know,
it's Microsoft's fault!) that text size is the least problem here.

"Autofit" is nice for beginners, but I wouldn't want to end up with a
presentation with different text size on each slide! That just looks
horribly unprofessional.
And fiddling around with content to fit on a slide is _not_ "a massive
pain in the backside", it's a part of the job of making a presentation.
The presenter has to think about what to present actively! It's the user
who has to do the work, not some "LibreOffice magic" ...

 From own experience, LibreOffice documents have to be opened in
LibreOffice. The export to Microsoft Office does not work for any kind
of document and whenever I had to deliver something in Microsoft format,
I had to re-format everything or even re-create the document (Calc ->
Excel anyone? ;-). When I had to give smaller presentations, I exported
my work to PDF. For bigger presentations I had to work with Powerpoint
from the very beginning. This is the real world and there is nothing
LibreOffice can change about it.

And again, why does LibreOffice have to behave like Microsoft Office? If
people don't have the money for Microsoft Office, they should be happy
to get a well functioning free Office package! If they have Microsoft
Office, but are not satisfied, they obviously want to have something
different!

Sorry for being so emotional, I don't want to offend anyone! It's just
that I am having a really bad time at work, with my bosses getting angry
at me every time they see me using LibreOffice. And whenever one comes
to a conference, there is only Microsoft Office ... and if you try to
install a portable version of LibreOffice, you are the devil himself!
Again, LibreOffice should go its own way and be proud of it! There are
so many things that were copied from Microsoft, and they are actually
what makes Microsoft Office so annoying! Get rid of "automatic"
annoyances and give a damn about interoperability, at least as long as
the export to Microsoft formats does not work 110 % well!

Greetings,
Daniel M