[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Killed the ButtonBar in slide sorter

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Wed Sep 26 02:49:49 PDT 2012

Hi Kendy,

Jan Holesovsky wrote (25-09-12 16:00)
> Cor Nouws píše v Út 25. 09. 2012 v 14:58 +0200:

>> Hmm, currently the pop-up is the (only?) way to see the name of the slide.
>> How should we think about that?
>
> That is not changed currently, as that is a tooltip, and shows outside

OK, if that's not influenced, I'm fine !

>> And does the removing also refer to the little toolbar in the side pane?
>> (If I see the number of line changes in the commit, I guess yes...)
>
> Not sure if I understand you correctly; I removed the "Button bar" that
> is highlighted on the screenshot attached to the original mail, which I
> think you refer to as 'the little toolbar' - but not sure.

Yes, that is what I meant. And currently it's both shown in the slide
sorted and the side pane (View > Side Pane in design mode).

>> Therefore the good OpenOffice.org developers and people conducted a
>> large project some years ago, Renaissance.
>> Of course the toolbar is one of the changes the was a result from that.
>> I guess all the work was done, because many obvious actions are not easy
>> enough accessible for Joe-average. And that these were only the first
>> steps in a route to make Impress (&more) more contemporary.
>> The little pop-ups fit more in modern UI (-expectations) I guess then
>> context menu's - let alone short-cuts and pull down menus...
>
> I don't think I agree with you here.  The touch-based devices need to
> have everything shown, nothing appearing based on a presence of a mouse
> pointer; and it seems to me as a good trend in general.

I expect that (some) controls on small devises appear when you move to
an edge/side. You can see that as a sort of appearing after mouse-move?

> Please note that Renaissance is 3-4 years old project.

So them problems identified at that time have been solved ;-) ?

> I have heard complaints about this Button bar from several people, and
> no 'oh, I love these appearing buttons' - so I believe we are fine.  The
> same with the appearing / disappearing header / footer controls - lots
> of complaints that it is too much disruptive, so I believe that not
> using any controls that appear after a timeout only supports that the
> above mentioned trend is Good :-)

I agree with the header/footer thing.
Never heard complaints about the button bar, other then that it's
creation came together with the hiding of the slide name...

I can understand that people do not like pop-ups. And maybe I even do
agree. But removing them, leaves the challenge that they were set up for
in the first place, the problem that they were to solve, orphaned..?
Maybe I missed part of the plan. Or maybe we simply declare that
office-users are expected to use the context menu abundant :-)

Cheers,
Cor

--
  - Cor