[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Fwd: [GSOC] iOS remote control design

Siqi Liu me at siqi.fr
Mon Aug 5 05:29:19 PDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Siqi Liu <me at siqi.fr>
Date: 2013/8/5
Subject: Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSOC] iOS remote control design
To: "Mirek M." <mazelm at gmail.com>

Hi Mirek,

Thanks for you feedbacks! I've responded inline for certain issues that you
have pointed out.

On Aug 5, 2013 11:45 AM, "Mirek M." <mazelm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi again,
> I was hoping someone else would comment, because I'm not well-versed in
the iOS HIG and I don't care much for the platform. It doesn't help that
the iOS 7 HIG is hidden behind an Apple ID login, which I don't have -- if
you have one, take a look at the HIG [1] and the iOS 7 UI transition guide
[2].

Me neither, I'm fairly new to iOS dev actually ^^ I will take a look at it.

> Based on what I've gathered from articles, screens, and videos about iOS,
though, here are my comments and concerns:
> * The swipe-in sidebar might not work on iOS 7 devices, as the swipe from
the left side of the screen is used to go back. I'd recommend installing an
iOS 7 beta to test out your app, and instead of a swipe-in sidebar, how
about a pinch-out overview like on the Android app? As a plus, it won't be
possible to accidentally show the sidebar when you meant to go to the last
slide.

Actually the swipe in sidebar is activated only by the detail button on the
upper right corner since I don't want users to accidentally activate it by
a swipe gesture. However I do need to swap the position of "stop
presentation" button (on the left) and the "detail button" (on the right),
didn't know why I placed them in wrong positions :-P

> * The style seems to be an odd combination of iOS 6 and iOS 7 styles.
Please pick one and go with it (I would say iOS 7 is a better choice). It
would be good to use orange as the accent color, like we do on Android.

Ok, I will change the accent to orange throughout the app, which was green
before.

In terms of styling, I personally don't have any iOS 7 compatible device to
test on so I can either test it in the iOS7 simulator (which is still in
Dev preview) or really just customize all the iOS 6 elements to make them
feel like iOS7...which doesn't appear to be a good choice to me...But yes,
I will investigate into how to make the design style transition between
iOS6 based app and iOS7 based app. For now, all the customized elements are
designed to be similar to the iOS7 because, ...let's admit it, the iOS6 UI
is just too boring...I'm kind of struggling here as well.

> * I don't quite understand the layout slide show control pad. Why is the
next slide shown on the left whan one gets to it by swiping to the right?
Why is it shown at all?

First, I did not stick to the Android app which used a coverflow to change
between slides because it's to me a little bit trickier to change to next
slide by swiping. It doesn't seem to be as reliable as to simply click on a
button. With a button, users don't even need to look at the app to know if
they have swiped to the next slide or the next next slide... It was pointed
out by Michael M during the initial proposition period as well and that's
also why I made two big buttons for users to reliably control the
next/previous slide.

Second, the reason I show a secondary slideshow preview is twofold: 1. It
can be helpful for users to know what's the next slide, especially when the
presentation is at the last slide, in which case the next slide will be
black with a big "SlideShow Finished" on it 2. The screen size of iPhone is
much narrower and shorter than most of the android devices, which makes it
impossible to present only one slide while leaving enough space for the
lecturer's notes and the buttons on the bottom (if we maintain the aspect
ratio of the slideshow of course). If we want to keep aspect ratio of the
slideshow image, it presenting two slides at the same time seems to solve
the problem.

[image: Images intégrées 1]

[image: Images intégrées 2]

However, it does make more sense to place the next slide to the right. I
will change that soon.

> * What does the Touch Pointer in settings do and how is it different from
the Pointer button in slide view?

The "Touch Pointer" option, when disabled, activates accelerometer based
pointer. But if at the end of gsoc I don't have a reliable accelerometer
based pointer, I will remove this option and makes it touch pointer only,

The pointer button, in "touch pointer" mode, will display an enlarged
current slide, which allows users to touch the desired part more
accurately.

[image: Images intégrées 3]

In "accelerometer based pointer" (which is highly experimental), users can
keep holding on this Pointer button and a pointer will be shown on the
phone, which can be moved based on accelerometer. When users release this
button, the enlarged picture and the pointer will be dismissed.

> * I think it's important to show the clock in the presentation control
pad, as that's the screen the presenter will be on the most.

I agree with you, I think it would be possible to place it at the center of
the navigation bar.

> * On the "New Server" page, "Server Name" should just read "Name" and it
should be below the "IP address" entry, as it's optional. The label below
is unnecessary.

Ok, will do so.

> * The Slide sidebar seems undiscoverable. Please have a button for it,
preferably in the main toolbar.

Yes, it is on the main toolbar (the navbar on the top), I will exchange the
position of the "stop presentation" and this detail button.

> * I don't think "Stop Presentation" should get such prominent placement.
(After all, it's only used once, and you really don't want to tap it by
accident.) I'd suggest replacing it with a "Back" button, but only if the
presentation can be restored right away if the button is accidentally
tapped. If not, I'd suggest putting it in the menu.

Ah, I see, it's actually not a menu button...it's the button to reveal the
sidebar. Actually I'm thinking of replace that button with a "gear button",
which reveals a menu where users can "stop presentation", this prevents
some accidental clicks as it requires two steps to click on the stop button.

> * I don't think the slide show preview page is necessary.

This page presents in the Android app as well and it's actually necessary
in terms of connection management: select a server --- connection ---
pairing --- "After paired with PCs, users will need somewhere to call start
presentation". When users click on "stop presentation", they will be
brought back to this preview page, where they can restart presentation if
they will.

In Android IIRC this page has only a "start presentation" button. In iOS
I've just implemented it so that it presents the title of the document
currently displayed on the PCs as well. Also, this leave us some space to
do some presentation specific configuration like auto-start timer & touch
pointer (when disabled, we activate accelerometer based pointer).

> BTW, what's in that menu? It'd be good to know.

The SideBar .... Bazinga! But yes, should be on the left actually. Will
correct that ^^

> [1] https://developer.apple.com/library/etc/redirect/WWDR/iOSHIG
> [2]
https://developer.apple.com/library/etc/redirect/WWDR/iOSUITransitionGuide

Hope this clarify certain aspects of the current design! And I will post
some modified screens on the Wiki later.

Thank you!

Siqi

--
--------

Cordialement,
Siqi LIU

Étudiant Ingérieur, Université de Technologie de Compiègne
Vice-Président de l'association robotique UTCoupe
Responsable d'atelier de ClubChine

------
  Tel. +33 7 61 16 95 83
  email: me at siqi.fr