[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Use Widget Layout for the Start Center

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 23:51:38 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM, Jean-Baptiste Faure <
jbf.faure at sud-ouest.org> wrote:

> Hi Krisztian,
>
> Le 24/07/2013 18:16, Krisztian Pinter a écrit :
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I'm working on this GSoC
> > project:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas#Use_Widget_Layout_for_the_Start_Center
>
> I just tried the first implementation of the new startcenter in the
> master. It is interesting to view the recent documents but there is a
> problem in the actual implementation in which it is impossible to see
> the entire name of the file. Do you plan to offer different views of the
> list, like icons, detailed list and compact list?

My opinion on the matter:
It'd be good to keep the number of views simple.
A detailed list makes sense, but I don't see much of a point in an icon
list (thumbnails are much more informational, icons just show the file type
and are completely useless when you're not on the "All" tab). I'm not in
favor of a compact list either -- if you need a list, use the detailed list
view, if you need to browse quickly, use the thumbnail view. I realize that
the compact view is much more compact, but it doesn't seem worth the work
and the UI overhead.

> In the mockup (here:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Start_Center) the
> filenames follow the old ms-dos 8 digit rule; am I wrong if I assume
> that, today, nobody still uses that rule in the real life ? ;-)

Sorry, I left out the handling of long names from the proposal.
Given that Gnome Documents [1] uses the same layout, how about adopting
their way -- limiting the filename to two rows, and if it doesn't fit,
cutting it off about 8 characters from the end of the word, if I'm not
mistaken. You can ask Jon McCann or Jakub Steiner about the specifics, if
you'd like.

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Documents#Tentative_Design