[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Analysis of OOo 3.1 tracking data

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Feb 13 05:55:06 PST 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 02:58:14AM -0800, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> The question to me is which function in "Widget" is related to what real
> world action.
>
> I have the following items:
> * AcceleratorExecute (short-cut like Ctrl+C for copy aka .uno:Copy)
> * SfxAsyncExec (internally executed when copy/paste is done via mouse, I
> guess)
> * SfxToolBoxControl (probably as well some kind of internally function call)
> * GenericToolbarController
> * MenuBarManager
> * ToolbarsMenuController
>
> Is MenuBarManager the main and/or some popup menu? What is the difference
> between the other toolbar controls?

sooo, these different items where not "designed" or set in a intentional way.
Usage tracking was added after the fact to an existing product. In essence,
the items just signify the piece of code that was passed when the usage
tracking noticed some event was fired by the user. As such, for the most part,
they might not make a sensible destiction from a UX point of view and be purely
internal.

Its a valid question why this was recorded at all then. Well, its easier to
discard useless information than to recreate info that was never recorded out
of thin air. So, when I wrote that, I recorded the code it went through, so
that some question that might be answered by the difference of the piece of
code it was fired through, so we are not prematurely loosing the info.

The best way to find out if and how a GenericToolbarController is different
from a ToolbarsMenuController in a relevant way, is to a/ get the OOo version
that had this logging b/ enable it c/ play with OOo and d/ look at the logs.

Best,

Bjoern