[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Think about the Save Icon and Navigator Icon please

Stefan Knorr heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 00:04:52 PST 2013

Hi Jie Luo,

On Tue, 2013-02-19 at 09:10 +0800, jie luo wrote:
> Ribbon interface shows: Visible line and SubTitle
> Good assistance to the use of hover& tips pop-up.

I agree that showing icons with a caption is far more user-friendly, in
fact a study made by Microsoft confirmed this.

Our tips are usually not a big help either – while they include the name
of the function, they don't include a description. However, there is an
option for extended tips – but if you enable that the name of the
function isn't shown.
All that gives us a grand glorious zero points for our tooltips, even if
we could get more quite easily.

> I don't know the cabinet you talking about; I suggest less detailed icon
> which have a notebook  or computer towerbox box or file folder as base, put
> up an Arrow which tells more of SAVE functionality.

Notebooks and computers will likely be legacy devices in a few years,
too. Also, it is quite hard to portrait either very accurately, if you
have to hide them behind an arrow.
All the same, between LibreOffice 3.5 and 3.6, we used this icon for
saving:
http://user-prompt.com/wp-content/uploads/TangoSave.png

Which I like very much, but which people don't really understand. That's
the cabinet icon Fitoschido was referring to.

> Is a resolution necessary before questioning? It's like "talk is cheap,
> show me the code" style. :(

You can question any- and everything without having a resolution – but
it is not the most helpful thing to do on this mailing list, I guess.

> Yes, I admit, I cannot think of a better icon for navigator, and I just
> don't use this feature. It looks like map to me.

Most of our other icon themes use a compass icon – which seems better to
me. Luckily, Alex has already replaced that icon in our Tango Testing
icon theme. (Thanks, Alex!)
You can try this theme by installing a 4.1 pre-release build and then
switching icon themes by going to Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View,
then use the combo box below Icon Size and Style.

The star icon refers to people navigating by stars; maybe this is more
understandable to people in Christian-influenced countries. (Given the
whole tale with the three wise men finding Jesus and all.) I don't
really know, though.

Astron.