[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Theme Colors

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 05:05:38 PST 2013

Hi guys,
As you may know, we've been working on redesigning the color picker.
In our design, we've been playing with the idea of a "Colors in Use"
section as a way to be able to pick up on the document's color scheme.
The problem with this section is that it might be troublesome and lengthy
to scan the document for colors use, and it's not really a good way to
store a document's color scheme.
However, it turns out that there's a much better solution in OOXML called
theme colors [2] [3], where a color schemes are stored within the document,
and since the number of colors and their role is fixed, it's very simple to
switch a whole document to a different color scheme.
I assume that this functionality isn't part of ODF yet, but it would be
excellent if it could get into the next version.
Is there anyone here who could push for this addition?
It's very necessary for both furthering ODF-based office suites and for
supporting OOXML files.

As an interim solution before the feature hits ODF, would it be possible to
temporarily load the theme colors as a palette upon opening a document?

[1] wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Color Picker
[2] http://www.schemacentral.com/sc/ooxml/t-w_ST_ColorSchemeIndex.html
[3]
https://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint-help/all-about-themes-quick-styles-cell-styles-and-background-styles-HA010178624.aspx