[Libreoffice-ux-advise] including Ubuntu fonts in Windows/OSX installers

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 09:07:38 PST 2013

Hi Adolfo,

On 24 January 2013 17:56, Adolfo Jayme Barrientos <fitoschido at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, it’s considered “non-free” by Debian, but we can apply the same
> logic to the other “non-free” fonts added to LibreOffice, such as Open
> Sans, Source {Code|Sans} Pro and PT Serif.

Can you clarify why you think these fonts are not free? Afaik, they
are under the fairly standard, free AL2, or OFL, respectively. The
Ubuntu font otoh uses its own license that unfortunately adds
restrictions on when you can rename it and when you can't.
It removes value from our templates if you can't actually use them as
intended on some of the supported platforms, so the question if the
font can be found in all our main platforms is somewhat important.

Astron.