[Libreoffice-ux-advise] including Ubuntu fonts in Windows/OSX installers

Adolfo Jayme Barrientos fitoschido at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 11:21:44 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Stefan Knorr (Astron)
<heinzlesspam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you clarify why you think these fonts are not free? Afaik, they
> are under the fairly standard, free AL2, or OFL, respectively. The
> Ubuntu font otoh uses its own license that unfortunately adds
> restrictions on when you can rename it and when you can't.
> It removes value from our templates if you can't actually use them as
> intended on some of the supported platforms, so the question if the
> font can be found in all our main platforms is somewhat important.

Astron, the UFL is as permissive as the OFL and the ALv2. And I don’t
think Open Sans, PT Serif and Source are not free, please re-read my
they were created with proprietary software (read: not created with
FontForge).

My position on this is to continue shipping Open/PT/Source and add
Ubuntu as well. But -- Debian would need to remove our fonts in their
package.

--
Adolfo