[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Stefan Knorr heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 09:59:32 PDT 2013

Hi Artur,

sorry for not replying sooner.

On 13 June 2013 14:42, Artur Dryomov <artur.dryomov at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not against it at all, I just didn’t see any examples really.
> It would be great if you’ll show some examples as Google Play applications.

I meant the actual Google Play Store application. See
  https://www.dailymailplus.co.uk/wp-content/themes/mailplus/content/help/android/01_app_description_on_play.jpg
for instance. At the end of the (shortened) What's New section, there
is a little expander arrow.

> No, we didn’t need it. Actually I prefer to add buttons to action bar only if it is really necessary.
> Most of Android phones in portrait mode can show only two action bar buttons.

Really? Is this an actual physical limitation or is that a part of the
HIG we/I are unaware of? (Links appreciated.)
Google's Action Bar description features an image of an Action Bar
with five elements, see [1].

> I can enforce the application to show more but the ideal case is two or three buttons.
>
>> How about always showing any notes when the phone is in portrait mode,
>> and never showing them when in landscape?
>
> As I said before it would be just a waste of space if there are no notes.
> I want to keep vertical centering as well (as you see at your and my proposals).

Sure, I agree – but suppose we have the case that there are notes: we
could use the device orientation to toggle their display.

> Yep, it is another problem — slides with transitions like animations or videos.
> It breaks swiping a bit — if user changes slides with swiping previews, slide changes without transitions.
> Maybe we should consider arrows instead of swiping. It would be something like your proposal.

Hm, I don't quite understand how animations/videos would break
swiping. My idea here (excuse the crude ASCII art) was to modify the
Notes bar like this:
---
[Action Bar]

 _______________________
|                       |
|         SLIDE         |
|                       |
|_______________________|

 ____________________
/ Notes \ Multimedia \  ^

[Android buttons]
---
(Try viewing it in a non-proportional font, like with Gmail's source view.)
So, basically, you'd have a second tab in the Notes bar that could be
used to play all manner of animations/video/sound.

On the topic of the arrows: I think they would be a good idea as a
backup/second, redundant way of doing things – there may be the one or
other user that doesn't immediately notice s/he needs to swipe to
advance to the next slide.

Btw, on the topic of swiping: The swiping thing is not bad, but (and
that imo is one of the app's biggest issues right now) it is by far
too easy to swipe across more than one slide. It would be far better
if one needed a particularly "violent" swipe to even advance by two
slides, or maybe if swiping only ever advanced one slide.

Astron.

[1] https://developer.android.com/design/patterns/actionbar.html