[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Artur Dryomov artur.dryomov at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 15:00:22 PDT 2013

Hi Stefan,

> I meant the actual Google Play Store application. See
>  https://www.dailymailplus.co.uk/wp-content/themes/mailplus/content/help/android/01_app_description_on_play.jpg
> for instance. At the end of the (shortened) What's New section, there
> is a little expander arrow.

I see. It seems like a nice solution. The implementation could be tricky a bit, but I’m worry about will it be discoverable for users or not :-?

> Really? Is this an actual physical limitation or is that a part of the
> HIG we/I are unaware of? (Links appreciated.)
> Google's Action Bar description features an image of an Action Bar
> with five elements, see [1].

Such count really depends on device parameters. You can see a description right at the page you mentioned — look at the “Action Overflow” section. That’s why you see such elements count at images. It can be forced but not recommended, so the optimal count is two or three buttons users can see everywhere (I mean phones basically), others will be hidden via overflow menu. When device orientation changed the count increases but users use phones at a portrait orientation most of the time :-)

> Sure, I agree – but suppose we have the case that there are notes: we
> could use the device orientation to toggle their display.

I like iOS Keynote Remote app as well :-)

> Hm, I don't quite understand how animations/videos would break
> swiping.
>
> On the topic of the arrows: I think they would be a good idea as a
> backup/second, redundant way of doing things – there may be the one or
> other user that doesn't immediately notice s/he needs to swipe to
> advance to the next slide.
>
> Btw, on the topic of swiping: The swiping thing is not bad, but (and
> that imo is one of the app's biggest issues right now) it is by far
> too easy to swipe across more than one slide. It would be far better
> if one needed a particularly "violent" swipe to even advance by two
> slides, or maybe if swiping only ever advanced one slide.

I didn’t test any audio or video slideshows so I cannot be sure how do they work. I’ll do it later, that part could be tricky…

Animations could be handled other way. What do you think if it will be implemented as the iOS Keynote app? I mean instead of previews of ready and set slides there will be previews of slides in the process of animation. If it will be done such way, animations could be controlled via swiping as well.

Example — a slide with three lines of text, every line appears after an animation.
1. LO — an empty slide, Android — an empty preview.
2. Android — swiping.
3. LO — the first line of text, Android — a preview with the first line of text.
4. Android — swiping.
5. LO — the second line of text, Android — a preview with the second line of text.
6. Etc.

And don’t worry about swiping sensibility — I’ll move from a custom coverflow widget to the native one [1], so it will be solved.

Regards,
Artur.

[1]: http://developer.android.com/training/animation/screen-slide.html