[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Jun 20 05:48:06 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-10 at 02:29 +0300, Artur Dryomov wrote:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Impress_remote#GSoC_2013_proposal
>
> It would be great to hear your opinions and suggestions.
> If you do not want to flood discussion threads you can send me a
> private message.

	I'm encouraged to see the discussion so far - great to have such timely
feedback: thanks Mirek, Astron & co.

	One thing that I (personally) as a user of the remote would like to do
is to re-focus the user-experience away from the unpleasant nastiness of
pairing, selecting computers etc. and towards usability ;-)

	When I get to present, the pairing is one of those things that slow me
down and frustrate me. Ideally I would do this once, ever - and
subsequently when I start the app - -iff- it detects my laptop it
auto-connects and we're good to go.

	IMHO the common experience is of having one laptop for several years,
and one phone for at least a year ;-) and presenting many many times. As
such - spending a lot of time making the pairing / computer selection UI
really sexy is (in my view) so much nearly wasted time.

	In contrast - adding code to allow secure detection of the remote host
and automatic connection would be way more awesome ;-) In my world the
automatic turning on of bluetooth would actually work in Android, I'd
start the app, it would spin 'connecting' for a couple of seconds - and
then I'd hit 'start' (or perhaps better - it might auto-start ;-)

	Oh - and thinking through / improving the UX of actual slide navigation
is rather needed ;-)

	Sorry for the rant - just based on seeing lots of screenshots of the
bits I don't care about and fundamentally don't want to see ;-)
Similarly this PIN transfer should be a one-time-ever event that sets up
a "really secure(TM)" authenticated connection - at least, if we can
make that fly with the libraries we have on the systems.

	ATB,

		Michael.