[Libreoffice-ux-advise] fdo#61135 Advise wanted on changes in Chart Wizard

Stefan Knorr heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 15:01:19 PDT 2013

Hi Eric, Markus,

sorry for the missing answers :)

> I think we have two options here. Either we generalise the smooth
> options and the stepped lines options into one common dialog or you
> add a new properties dialog for stepped lines similar to the existing
> smooth lines dialog. I'm fine with both solutions and I have no

Hm, I guess a different dialogue would make sense, even if it is not
entirely as economic. Otherwise, user would (either way) find
themselves in a dialogue where half the options are always greyed out.

Ultimately, I guess it is okay if the Properties button changes its
function slightly. Unfortunately, relabelling the button depending on
the situation would make the button text rather unwieldy ("Smooth line
properties.." etc.) – so that's probably not such a good idea.
There is something you should keep in mind about the button:
currently, it is always active and clicking it activates the Smooth
Lines box ... this shouldn't happen anymore in the future. It should
just be greyed out when the Straight lines setting is on.

Anyway, your mockup looks nice: go for it.

>> The properties for the stepped lines would be where the stepping is done: at
>> the start of the line, at the end, in the middle (X position) or to halfway
>> (Y position). This would be shown in a seperate dialog box.

I've created glade files for a slight redesign of the smoothed lines
property dialogue, and a file for the new property dialogue ... mind
you, I used Gtk+3 Glade ... so they might need converting, even though
they really aren't very fancy. This is my first serious try with
Glade... there might be errors in there...

Also, I wasn't sure about the wording of it all, so improve as you see fit.

Astron.