[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Pivot Table data provider extension framework (removal possibility)

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 06:34:18 PDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Olivier Hallot
<olivier.hallot at documentfoundation.org> wrote:

>>> IMHO the advantage of the data provider is that the actual data does not
>>> have to reside in the spreadsheet, allowing for massive amounts of data
>>> records but providing only the information necessary for the pivot
>>> table. This maybe could be accomplished as well using a registered data
>>> source, but currently we have no means to pull the data without actually
>>> storing it in the spreadsheet for further processing. Or isn't that the
>>> case?
>>
>> Naively, I don't immediately see why when using database connectivity,
>> you'd have to store the data in the spreadsheet?

I expanded on that in my post.  I wondered about that too, and pivot
table does generate its output directly from the database connectivity
but it *does* first create a cache from it internally, as part of the
calculation process. But it doesn't duplicate the source data in the
document.

Kohei