[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Impress : general feed back

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Sat May 18 15:05:41 PDT 2013

Hi Michel,

Michel RENON wrote (09-05-13 16:11)

> While working on entrance animations, I also ran an simple test of
> Impress and found bizarre behaviors :
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Michelr#Impress_4.0_:_urgent_bugs_and_enhancements

Thanks for gathering those and writing down.
I do recognise this partly. But obviously since I know how to make
proper use of Impress, I can avoid a lot of the pitfalls.
But that's not your point: it's for people that just need good guidance
by a clear UI behaviour.

> What do you think of my "Proposal for urgent bugs" ?

in slide view :

     remove focus in "Recently used" and "Available for use"

No, I would not like to remove the use.

     rename "Available for use" to "Available Templates"

OK

     change default click of "Available Templates" from "apply to all
slides" to "apply to selected slides"

OK. (There is the context menu too)

     remove "Recently used" ? (ToBeConfirmed)

Why would you remove that choice?

in master view :

     disable all task panels, or simply hide the "Tasks" panel,

OK

     adapt tabs :
         rename tab "Normal" to "Slide Master", rename tab "Notes" to
"Notes Master"

OK

         disable or hide all other tabs ("Outline", "Handouts", "Slide
sorter")

OK

     in slide pane, change title "Slides" to "Master pages"

OK

> Can it be implemented easily ?

I've no real idea. But I think that things as disabling some tabs while
in Master page view, and make naming more consistent, look relatively easy.

Being easy is one point... another is people willing to implement it.
And the better issues are sorted out, especially more important ones,
the more likely it is that a developer will step in.
IIRC several improvements in Impress have been implemented like that
already.
Would be good to attract those hackers too for feed back at a certain stage.
Would it be helpful (to get more people involved maybe) to have some
graphics/screen shots?

What I like about your ideas it that you take a whole bunch related
topics. Did you have a look at BugZilla for like/related issues?

Related - what I found out:
- changing size/position of the main text frame on a slide in master
view, sets those very properties when using that master page for a slide
and choosing a lay out;
- setting the position of bullets / numbering in a master page can't be
done via the Styles, but has to be done via the menu Format > Bullets
and numbering.
   (Note to Thorsten: I was fighting recently with some settings that
were lost randomly. Cannot reproduce. May be due to the fact that that
was in an old presentation file, prolly once imported from Impress too.
So who knows what cruft may be hidden in de settings.)

Cheers,
Cor

--
  - Cor