[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Template manager issues pending

Jean-Francois Nifenecker jean-francois.nifenecker at laposte.net
Mon May 20 10:44:04 PDT 2013

Le 20/05/2013 09:34, pierre-yves.samyn at laposte.net a écrit :
> Hello to all
>
> Just to clarify this because I fear that my proposals have been
> misunderstood.
>
>>> 61396 - FILEOPEN: [Template Manager]Possibility to
>>> edit a template that is not in the repository, is lacking
>>> I saw a comment with the proposal :
>>> "when a user does "Open" from the "File" menu and selects a
>>> template, then LO should open the template" ; instead of
>>> creating a new file from the template".
>
>> Could work, but would _introduce_ the opposite problem,
>> that a user cannot start a new file from a template that
>> is not in the template repository...
>
> My proposal is:
>
> 1. File> Open> Select a .ot(tsg...) file creates a new document
> (current behavior, no change)
>
> 2. File> Open> Select a .ot(tsg...) file *AND* select type:
> "ODF model xxx" edits the model
>
> New behavior that does not introduce the problem raised by Cor:
> - user can start a new file from any template
> - user can edit any template
> - the dialog already has everything that is needed.
> (no checkbox or other additional control required).

While I understand what Pierre-Yves discusses, I'd emphasise smthg here.

 From a user POV, if I "File / Open / Template" : I want to *open* a
template, ie modify it. This is *not* what a user wants on a regular basis.
If I "File / New / Template", I guess this should state "File / New /
 From template", I want to create a *new* document *from* a template.
This is what a user wants most of the time.

I guess the words have some weight here.
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux