[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Remove the Navigator button below the scrollbar in Writer

Jean-Francois Nifenecker jean-francois.nifenecker at laposte.net
Thu Nov 14 22:38:04 PST 2013

Hi Mirek,

Le 14/11/2013 22:45, Mirek M. a écrit :
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Jean-Francois Nifenecker
> <jean-francois.nifenecker at laposte.net
> <mailto:jean-francois.nifenecker at laposte.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Le 14/11/2013 17:10, Mirek M. a écrit :
>     > I would definitely vote for removing these
>     > buttons from the scrollbar.
>
>     I wouldn't. Many people use it without using the Navigator (yes, they
>     are wrong but that's life :)
>

> Can you back up that statement?

Yes. The first fact is, in the French version at least, the Navigator is
not displayed by defaut. Nor is the Stylist, BTW.

BTW2: I've always felt that those two (Navigator and Stylist) should be
defaulted as anchored on the right side of the screen, the default zoom
being Optimal. That's just my view about the default ;)

If the Navigator is not on screen, the users won't see its items. And
won't use them. I'm dealing with 400+ users and regularly meet 10s more
because of my job. I estimate less than 1% (yes: ONE per cent) have
*ever* wondered what that funny button is for. On a more general pov,
the users are using the text processor as a typewriter. They have no
clue about what can be done using the software. Soem of them actually
see the Navigation button (caution: terms collision) and *do* use it...

> Not necessarily.
> The three buttons feel right at home next to the navigation section of
> the status bar (the one that says "Page 1/1"). All that's needed is to
> add the three buttons next to it. The added advantage here is that we
> could theme these buttons to fit with the rest of the status bar. iWork
> Pages does the same thing [1].

Thx for the link.

> Also, the three buttons are cluttering up the scrollbar, where they
> stick out like a sore thumb. They don't fit in well with any operating
> system's scroll bars and are sometimes too small to be comfortably
> targeted with a mouse (and, as mentioned, sometimes even too small for
> the icons to be visible at all).

My main gripe with the Navigation buttons is that they are placed very
far from the menus, forcing the user to move the mouse across the screen
(using the Navigator is much more mouse friendly). I'd have them at the
top of the vertical scrollbar instead.

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux