[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Remove the Navigator button below the scrollbar in Writer

Adolfo Jayme Barrientos fito at libreoffice.org
Thu Nov 21 06:06:56 PST 2013

A simple reason to not have any widget over scrollbar area: when they
change size they cause a lot of usability issues. And it’s not only
this navigation set of buttons: remember what happens with the Sheet
tabs in Calc? We get a lot of bug reports regarding that they are too
small, hard to click, unreadable, etc. It's the same with the
navigation buttons. IT’S SIMPLY NOT the place to have any UI elements.

Also, if we plan to support Mac OS X’s overlay scrollbars (and Ubuntu
ones as well), there should not be any special UI depending on
scrollbar size (that’s stupid).

(Now, don’t divert the discussion saying that we should accept any UI
from MS, and MS users will be alienated, and all that stuff. This is
an UX list, remember? And MS removed the buttons as well, remember?)