[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Remove the Navigator button below the scrollbar in Writer

Jean-Francois Nifenecker jean-francois.nifenecker at laposte.net
Sun Nov 24 05:18:38 PST 2013

Le 24/11/2013 13:33, bjoern a écrit :

> So, the current situation is less than optimal in many ways and
> everyone who voted for keeping the status quo so far appeared to me
> to be a power user, which is not representative at all. OTOH,
> implementing this differently should allow making this feature
> accessable and usable to _both_ power user and Joe Average Sixpack
> end user.

it is very clear to me that every people subscribing to this list are
most probably power users. John Doe's preoccupations aren't on a UX
angle, at least on the beginning (until he becomes a power user ;)

I've made at least two proposals in this thread about this question:

1. Don't get rid of the three-button thingy and place it at the *top* of
the vertical scrollbar, where the mouse travel is shorter.

-> this keeps the Navigation buttons

2. Transfer the navigation buttons/bar to the Search bar, as navigating
is somewhat searching, thus quite similar in intend from the user.

-> I'd received one only (negative) answer which motivations are unclear
to me.

So, to summarize this discussion so far, the consensus you'd asked for
is either "don't touch that" or "transfert the functionality to some
place where John Doe can find it as easily as he would now". My two
proposals above are going that route.

HTH,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux