[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Remove the Navigator button below the scrollbar in Writer

bjoern bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Sun Nov 24 04:33:57 PST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 01:02:03PM +0100, bjoern wrote:
> there is a patch to remove the navigator from the scrollbar:
>
>  https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/6045/

Just to give my personal opinion on this:

- it breaks some UIs expectations on the UI (e.g. OSX overlay scrollbars)
- having this navigation at that position in the scrollbar is unique to LO/AOO
  -- that is generally a bad thing
- it violates at least the Gnome HIGs:
  https://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/stable/principles-consistency.html.en
  likely similar advise can be found in other HIGs:
   https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/Intro/Intro.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000894-TP6
   http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa511258.aspx
   http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG
- non-representative end user testing (read asking non-geek friends) shows
  almost nobody who hasnt read the manuals knows what these buttons do
  (which is a bad sign for its dicoverability) -- if even some people on this
  thread are confused about what it is for, its a _very_ bad sign

So, the current situation is less than optimal in many ways and everyone who
voted for keeping the status quo so far appeared to me to be a power user,
which is not representative at all. OTOH, implementing this differently should
allow making this feature accessable and usable to _both_ power user and Joe
Average Sixpack end user.

Best,

Bjoern