[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Advice on adding Smart-Art related settings

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 00:58:50 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 01:59:14AM +0300, Andres Gomez <agomez at igalia.com> wrote:
> Actually, I've been reading in LibO's Help which is the purpose of the
> options under "Options -> Load/Save -> MS Office" and they seem to be
> really attached to OLE importing/exporting.

Seeing that SmartArt also has this "native data" and "replacement
graphics" parts, that sounds like an XML-based OLE thing to me.

> The best and most obvious option seems to be "Options -> [Text Document|
> Spreadsheet|Presentation] Options -> Compatibility". However, proper UI
> with check boxes seems to be only "Text Document". "Spreadsheet"
> "Compatibility" subcategory is quite different and it doesn't really
> seem to face the task of selecting compatibility options among document
> formats. "Presentation" doesn't even have a "Compatibility" subcategory.

At least for Writer, the Compatibility options tweak the layout, not the
import/export filters.

> In any case, my best guess is that we should go with these
> subcategories. As we are facing now just Writer I suppose we can just
> add another checkable option and, once we start implement similar
> compatibility for "Calc" and "Impress" we can also add the needed items
> and subcategories.
>
> What do you think?

I would go with a "SmartArt to LibreOffice Draw or reverse" option, next
to the other Microsoft Office options (if we already have such a
category, and SmartArt is totally MS-specific, it makes sense to me to
have it there). By default, I would keep the current behavior (SmartArt
loaded as a group shape + attached metadata to survive roundtrip), and
the disabling the load could trigger converting to metafile, disabling
save could trigger dropping the metadata and do a pure groupshape
export.

Of course, this is just a suggestion, other approaches may be equally OK
as well.

Miklos