[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Advice on adding Smart-Art related settings

Jacobo Aragunde Pérez jaragunde at igalia.com
Wed Oct 2 02:30:31 PDT 2013

El 02/10/13 09:58, Miklos Vajna escribió:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 01:59:14AM +0300, Andres Gomez <agomez at igalia.com> wrote:
>> Actually, I've been reading in LibO's Help which is the purpose of the
>> options under "Options -> Load/Save -> MS Office" and they seem to be
>> really attached to OLE importing/exporting.
>
> Seeing that SmartArt also has this "native data" and "replacement
> graphics" parts, that sounds like an XML-based OLE thing to me.

It makes sense for me too.

> I would go with a "SmartArt to LibreOffice Draw or reverse" option, next
> to the other Microsoft Office options (if we already have such a
> category, and SmartArt is totally MS-specific, it makes sense to me to
> have it there). By default, I would keep the current behavior (SmartArt
> loaded as a group shape + attached metadata to survive roundtrip), and
> the disabling the load could trigger converting to metafile, disabling
> save could trigger dropping the metadata and do a pure groupshape
> export.

In my opinion, the default behaviour should be SmartArt becoming
immutable on import. With the current one, a user can change the shapes
but those changes won't be exported back to docx and that's confusing.

Besides this point, I agree with your definition of the fields with some
comments:

* Enabling "load" would mean that the SmartArt would be converted to LO
shapes and disabling it would mean that the imported SmartArt would be
immutable and would preserve the metadata. It would be disabled by default.

* Enabling "save" would mean that the shapes would be converted to
SmartArt and disabling it would do a pure group-shape export. Since
there is no kind of SmartArt exporter in LibreOffice yet, this box would
be disabled and its value could not be change by the user.

Finally, maybe we should call this option "SmartArt to LibreOffice
shapes or reverse", since we are not involving Draw in this process.
Besides, Draw exporting is already different: embedded Draw in a
document is exported as a .emf file inside the .docx.

--
Jacobo Aragunde
Software Engineer at Igalia