[Libreoffice-ux-advise] File menu thoughts ...

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 12:33:36 PDT 2013

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Michael Meeks
<michael.meeks at collabora.com>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>         Just a quick query; I rather like the idea of turning the 'File'
> menu
> into rather a more advanced / full-screen/window way of popping up
> details about the document, and eventually providing a more intuitive
> place to anchor - document statistics, embedding of images / multimedia
> etc. as well as better ways to browse templates / cloud etc.
>

>         Thoughts on that appreciated :-) I'd hate to commit some horrible
> heresy here UX - wise. [ And naturally, I've no immediate plans to work
> on this, but am exploring some ].

I personally would love to get rid of the need to use the menu bar and have
it hidden by default in the future (far, far future, from the looks of it),
so I'd prefer to see some work done on toolbars rather than on the menu bar.
In any case, I believe the file menu is stuck at being a text-only list,
given restrictions posed by Mac OS X (correct me if I'm wrong).

That said, we could certainly try to redesign the Properties dialog
sometime (once an interested developer shows up; right now, we're
prioritizing other things).
Cloud synchronization should be a task for the new Start Center and
template browsing should be covered by the Template dialog (which I'm still
hoping will get just a 2-level hierarchy and single-click to open).

On an unrelated note, would it be possible to have client-side decorations
(like in e.g.
http://spiceofdesign.deviantart.com/art/Writer-Concept-351501580) in
LibreOffice?