[Libreoffice-ux-advise] File menu thoughts ...

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 15:19:32 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Michael Meeks
<michael.meeks at collabora.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 12:37 +0200, Cor Nouws wrote:
> > Quick queries, dangerous future ... :)
>
>         No real urgency. However - I think we need a good design for
> integrating cloud storage into LibreOffice in a way that doesn't just
> ram more cruft & horrible interactions into the 'File' menu, and
> preferably starts to unwind the mess of things around the 'document'
> that we want to show, but don't really have many good places to put.

What kind of cloud storage integration are we talking here?
If it's e.g. Google Drive file sync, I'd suggest we do something similar to
Gnome Documents [1] using the new Start Center. Synced documents would be
shown among local documents, but with a special badge. Synchronization
would be managed from the Start Center and from a file's Properties dialog.

(Ideally, the Start Center should evolve to act as a kind of document
launcher/file manager listing all of the user's LibreOffice documents, not
unlike what you see in apps for Android/iOS. Once it's mature enough,
modules should start up with their respective sections in the Start Center
rather than with a new document.)

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Documents