[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Use Widget Layout for the Start Center

Emir Yâsin SARI bitigchi at me.com
Fri Sep 6 06:44:50 PDT 2013

Hi Mirek,

6 Eyl 2013 tarihinde 14:07 saatinde, Mirek M. şunları yazdı:

> 4. Open/Templates buttons are very very big, and they look very alienated on OS X. Have no idea about the other platforms.
>
> Ideally, these should be toolbar buttons, as in the proposal. [1]

This is it! And with toolbar functions, other basic find, modify actions could be easily implemented.

> 5. New document buttons under the tabs are also very big, they do not look native, and they leave very valuable space wasted on the right side of the buttons. Same case for the small buttons under the All Recent tab.
>
> +1

Again, to be solved with the toolbar approach.

> 6. Also mentioned here before, Recent Documents are would offer more file manager capabilities, basic functions like longer file names, ability to drag&drop, a search bar, and a system right click context menu!
>
> The long-term goal for the Start Center, at least how I envision it, is similar to that of mobile/web applications or Apple's Document Library [2]: have an application-specific file browser with a simple one-level folder hierarchy with the primary function of finding and opening a file, not "managing" it.
>
> Based on that, drag-and-drop, to me, makes only sense in terms of grouping documents into folders, in a similar way to the way folders work on the Android or iOS homescreen or in Apple's Document Library. Did you mean that or did you have something else in mind?
> A search bar makes sense as well.
> Instead of a right-click system menu, I'd prefer to reserve the right click for selection, as is the behavior of the new kind of Windows 8 apps and the new Gnome apps (Documents, Clocks, ...). By selecting something, the toolbar should change to present selection-relevant commands, which is the same as you'd expect from a right-click menu, with the advantage of being more discoverable and touch-accessible.
>
> Also, what exactly do you mean by "Longer file names"? Does the current implementation not allow long filenames? Or do you mean showing the whole file name no matter how long it is?

EXACTLY.

and as a future reference for 10.9 Mavericks release: TAGS.

For this we need to follow a different approach though. Currently SC acts as a bridge to the other components within the single window (application) LibreOffice, which IMHO we need to get rid of in time. What needs to be done is like NeoOffice getting rid of the SC as a whole, and implement the individual file manager window which recent OS X applications started to use (with iCloud) integration. I am not sure what would this take, but since every new OS X application uses the same window, seems like a feasible approach (or there is an API for this?). If someone with developer superpowers would enlighten us, that would be great actually.

For the file names, well, it only allows eight characters (counting three dots as one character), although tooltips have been recently introduced, it would still give a better look.

Best regards,
Emir