[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Wed Sep 18 08:23:39 PDT 2013

Hi Pedro!

Pedro wrote (06-09-13 10:58)

> I disagree with both your points :)

  :\ ;)

> Eating space: actually a side bar (optional) makes better use of screen
> space on new screens which are widescreen. So the idea is to disable the
> format toolbar (which becomes redundant) and use the horizontal space. Of
> course for "old" 4:3 ratio screens it is better to use the top toolbars but
> as long as it is *optional* each user can choose what is more convenient.

Yes, right nuancing of my initial writing (see the discussion on the UX
list:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-ux-advise/2013-September/002323.html
)

> Not promoting syles: actually styles are much more accessible. Instead of
> having a floating bar with styles

   (The window Styles and formatting can be docked easily too.)

>                               you just have the second button (from top)
> on the right of the sidebar to switch to the style list... So in fact I
> think it's a step forward in promoting styles :)

Hmm. Since it shows some more details of direct formatting, and in a
more attractive way then in the tool bar, I am afraid that the possibly
better visibility of styles alone is not enough.
But I agree that there is a real opportunity for improving, thanks to
the side bar!

Cheers,
Cor

--