[Libreoffice-ux-advise] LO's styles are more confusing then MSO's (Was Re: some thoughts on the Sidebar)

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 01:17:52 PDT 2013

mariosv wrote
> There you can create a new style based on the current format, and the type
> of style depends on what type you have selected: paragraph, character or
> page.

But that is not the same. First, you need to *manually* create the new style
(and give it a name) while what MS Word does is create it *automatically*
based on a modified character or paragraph. Second, that modification always
receives the same name so that all parts of the text modified in the same
way *automatically* have the same Style name, therefore you can modify all
occurrences just by modifying the *automatically* created Style.

My point is: MS mechanism to create styles automatically based on direct
formatting is (to my current knowledge) the best way to lead people to use
styles (if they wish) without imposing it on them.

Some users try to evangelize people into using LibreOffice with the argument
that it handles Styles better. Maybe it does, but the way to get access to
the Styles is currently very user-unfriendly. The buttons that allow access
to Styles are small, usually hidden and many features (such as the
*essential* option to Modify) are only accessible through right-clicking
(which is *not* the intuitive or usual action of the average user).

IMO LibreOffice should start by adopting the same automatic style creation
mechanism and at the same time have the UX team revise and severely
*improve* the usability of Styles.

Just my 2 cents ;)