[Libreoffice-ux-advise] LO's styles are more confusing then MSO's (Was Re: some thoughts on the Sidebar)

Jean-Francois Nifenecker jean-francois.nifenecker at laposte.net
Sun Sep 29 00:11:05 PDT 2013

Hi Pedro,

Le 19/09/2013 12:02, Pedro a écrit :

> To be honest the Microsoft approach is much more efficient: when you press
> the Bold button, the Style is automatically changed to Normal+Bold which
> allows you to modify the Style for all Bold word at a later stage...

Didn't know that. My latest use of MSOffice was in the MSO97 times ;-)

> Maybe LO should make the buttons have the same effect? From a user
> perspective it is applying a direct formatting but in the background it is
> creating and applying Styles...

This is interesting, indeed. But I see a "problem" here: the automatic
setting (the bad word is "automatic"). This won't make styles apparent
to users and you may end with users changing bold to italics by hand,
just because they miss the style side of the thing.

I always (well, quite always ;) disable automatic behaviours, just
because it means you forget it after a (short) while and if things go
bad, you don't know how to set them back.

Having been in first level help desk for years, I can see how often
people are bitten by such automatisms (auto backup is an example).

> Just my 2 cents ;)

and mine, as well :-)
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux