[Libreoffice-ux-advise] LO's styles are more confusing then MSO's (Was Re: some thoughts on the Sidebar)

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 03:44:18 PDT 2013

Hi Jean-François

Jean-Francois Nifenecker wrote
> This is interesting, indeed. But I see a "problem" here: the automatic
> setting (the bad word is "automatic"). This won't make styles apparent
> to users and you may end with users changing bold to italics by hand,
> just because they miss the style side of the thing.

Yes, that is a risk. But with the automatic style creation mechanism you
have the best of both worlds: 1) simple (as in direct formatting is visibly
applied) for those who refuse/ignore/can't learn styles and 2) advanced (the
style is there in the background so if you want to do better there is a path
to work with styles without having to reformat the whole text).

You can't force people to use styles. You can show them there is another way
but never impose it on them. Otherwise you will not help them but instead
just make them give up on LibreOffice.

And in many (most?) cases people *don't need* styles because they are never
going to change any formatting and the documents aren't complex enough to
need more than Default and Default+Bold :)

Pedro