[Libreoffice-ux-advise] alien format warning box buttons position

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Thu Jan 1 09:33:00 PST 2015

Hi Olivier,

On Thu, 2015-01-01 at 12:35 -0200, Olivier Hallot wrote:
> In summary, the position of the "Save in ODF format" and "Save in MS
> Office format" should be inverted when saving non-ODF files.

	My expectation is that clicking the bottom right button will continue
to do what I already asked for by eg. asking it to saving in the format
I requested. So I'd expect (when I select eg. ".docx" via a file-name) -
that the default is (after the warning) to continue to do as-asked ;-)

	Of course - if this is saving over the top of an existing file I just
opened with ctrl-s - then perhaps there is merit in a scary dialog with
a switched button order - but if someone already went to the bother of
manually selecting the format in that horrible save-dialog combo-box ;-)
then to make the barrier even more higher & more irritating in the face
of an explicit user-selection is just playing some annoying politics I
think.

	I'd imagine that having 2x variants one with the order switched for the
two different scenarios would be cognitively expensive so ...

	Do we really need to change ? We already have a barrier here by showing
this scary dialog =) do we really win by also making it more unpleasant
to use ? I mean if we want that - we can add a hard-to-get-right captcha
or something in there ;-)

	So - personally I'd prefer to ignore the politics and focus on
usability; but then - I'm not a core UX guy - so I await the results
with interest.

	eg. if we could easily (and we can't easily so I'm not at all
suggesting this ;-) detect the fact that we will not loose data when
saving XYZ document as a docx - I'd personally want to drop that dialog
for those cases: to reduce the user-pain / FUD myself.

	ATB,

		Michael.

--
 michael.meeks at collabora.com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot