[Libreoffice] [UX] Some dirty stuffs around styles in calc

Cedric Bosdonnat cedric.bosdonnat.ooo at free.fr
Wed Dec 1 05:38:45 PST 2010

Hi all,

The other day when playing with a calc document, I discovered an
annoying "feature". Create a new spreadsheet, protect one of the sheets
and try to modify the cell styles: nothing shows up when clicking on the
"Modify..." context menu.

I had to run a debug session in sc to understand that the problem was
caused by a protected sheet... which obviously normal users won't do. I
see here several usability problems:

 1/ The "Modify..." context menu should be at leat unactivated
 2/ You can still create new styles
 3/ You can't even edit styles that aren't applied in the protected
sheet
 4/ There is no visual feedback for the user to understand what happens

What's your take on this? Christoph, do you have any idea to improve
that thing?

Regards,
--
Cédric Bosdonnat