[Libreoffice] defaulting to --without-java ... (?)

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Thu Dec 2 12:43:41 PST 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 20:31 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> Hi Sebastian, *;
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at sspaeth.de> wrote:
> > My LibO build failed with the included openjdk, gcj, and sun-jre
> > installed, I had to remove openjdk, and then I had to remove the gcj
> > java stuff, and *only* when I had the sun stuff left, would LibO
> > actually build without screaming about not being able to detect
> > Java. (when I actually had java installed and in my path).
>
> Then this is a regression, a bug that needs to be fixed, and not
> circumvented by just closing your eyes and pretending the problem
> would not exist. OpenJDK definitely is supported, gcj should still be,
> but nowadays is less used.

I've built with openjdk and ecj/libgcj a lot without any particular
problems for quite a long time on Fedora. I did install SLED11 on a
VirtualBox a while ago, and the default java-devel story there is rather
unfortunately messy, e.g. have to dig quite a bit to find a javac rpm on
the SDK, and its a IBM one, the situation seems fairly dependent on your
distro. Fedora and Debian seem straight-forward, in that I've built on
both of those without any particular java woes.

C.