[Libreoffice] Comments on RC1

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Thu Dec 9 14:21:41 PST 2010

Le 2010-12-09 08:20, Sophie Gautier a écrit :

> If you would like, I can introduce Pierre-Yves to you, he is from
> Framasoft and taking care currently to package the FramaKey described
> here:
> http://framakey.org/Pack/Framakey-Ubuntu (FR)
> http://framakey.org/En/Details (EN).
>
> Kind regards
> Sophie

I can see how a USB stick would be a more elegant way of distributing
the distro. The price would seem to be the only problem that I can see.
Framakey (Framasoft) is offering a 4gig stick for 19Euro and 4Eu
shipping. A smaller and less expensive stick could be offered with just
the LO distro on the stick. The cost would have to be kept as low as
possible.  Framasoft carries the portable OOo, I imagine that they will
eventually carry the portable LibreOffice as well. I am not sure if he
has pronounced himself on this.

IMO, it would be best to try to foster communities where there is a very
low LibreOffice presence and from there encourage the creation of a
distribution system locally. Perhaps these groups would elect to use the
USB key format rather than CD/DVD.

Anyway, coincidentally, there is another thread on marketing that was
just started and perhaps this would be the best place to discuss it. I
have created a wiki page to track volunteers who are interested in
shipping CD/DVD (I have added my name as well), until we can have a more
organised place for it on the permanent LO website. You can find the
page here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Ideas/Distribution. I
believer I had seen another member volunteer her/his services on another
thread as well.

The discussion on the marketing list can be found here:
http://go.mail-archive.com/rMCudrkDiF78H5C4fP-B9TnaTZA=

I'll copy/paste your previous post so that the thread is more complete
and we could continue the discussion there if you don't mind.

Thanks for the tips and I'll make a note on the wiki re: Framasoft once
we complete the organisation.

Marc

--
Marc Paré