[Libreoffice] Comments on RC1

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Thu Dec 9 19:12:27 PST 2010

Le 2010-12-09 19:50, Wols Lists a écrit :
> On 09/12/10 22:21, Marc Paré wrote:
>> I can see how a USB stick would be a more elegant way of distributing
>> the distro. The price would seem to be the only problem that I can
>> see. Framakey (Framasoft) is offering a 4gig stick for 19Euro and 4Eu
>> shipping. A smaller and less expensive stick could be offered with
>> just the LO distro on the stick. The cost would have to be kept as low
>> as possible.  Framasoft carries the portable OOo, I imagine that they
>> will eventually carry the portable LibreOffice as well. I am not sure
>> if he has pronounced himself on this.
> imho, if we're not running a commercial enterprise (or even if we are)
> this is actually quite expensive. Okay, I bought SD cards not USB
> sticks, but I've just paid £9 for 2x2Gb, retail. Dunno how easy it is to
> copy in bulk onto SD chips but I would have thought it would be easy to
> get "card plus reader" for under £5 each in bulk. What's the
> Euro/sterling exchange rate? Last I heard I thought they were close to
> parity :-(
>
> Cheers,
> Wol
Actually, you can buy a usb 2gig stick for 4Euro in Canada ($6Cdn/US)
(Canadian currency is pretty well at par with US currency), for example:
http://factorydirect.ca/catalog/category_list.php?cat=9300. And that's
at the regular price. I am sure in bulk you could probably buy for
probably 3Euro. It is till not as cheap as CD/DVD in bulk. I would try
to avoid card readers as this would increase the expense. We are trying
to sell in economies where individuals make very little money but where
they have access to a computer.

I would probably try also to market it with a micro-sd card (you can buy
some that would fit LibreOffice if we can keep the distro under 500
megs) and these often sell for $2 Cdn/US. That way, many could just
insert it into their phones and use their phones as transfer point to
their computer. This would keep it simple and straightforward -- also
easy to carry and to share with others. You can even transfer files via
phones through bluetooth enabled phones.

Marc

--
Marc Paré
http://www.parEntreprise.com