[Libreoffice] hsqldb update

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Wed Dec 15 03:23:23 PST 2010

Hi Rene,

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 00:27 +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:13:28PM +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
> > > Version 2.0 has been out there for quite some time, 2.0.1 is well on the way and as the website
> > > states, the new version is much improved on various ends.
>
> The problem is that the file format upstream encodes the version. Even 1.8.0 vs.
> 1.8.1 breaks. Need to dig out the issue/mails wrt that...

	Oh - this is an extremely good point.

> So 2.0 will even more break... (Besides that it probably will need many
> adaptions)

	Quite - and since we store the data in the file itself; we have this
horrible forwards/backwards compat. problem wrt. versions always. [ This
is why I'd love a flat, std. SQL dump in the file personally ;-) ]

	So - sticking with a working version, and trying to deprecate that
thing as quick as possible seems like a better approach (IMHO). Of
course - we also rather need a datbase migration GUI (as I mentioned to
Wols) - in particular for MS Access databases.

	HTH,

		Michael.