[Libreoffice] sw: numbering misbehaviour

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Sat Dec 18 17:16:28 PST 2010

On 17/12/10 20:28, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> Btw, if you were interested in fixing that numbering problem, You might
> be interested in this similar bug, e.g.
>
> 1) Type some text, select it, change the formatting, e.g. font size to 18.
> Now press end to deselect the text and move to the end of the line.
>
> 2) Now click on the bullet icon,
>
> 3) Type some text. The text will be the default formatting, not that of
> the previous text.
>
> However, if you e.g. press x, get the normal size 12 x, press undo, and
> then redo, then the x is size 18 as it should have been the first time.
> Most annoying.
>
> C.

That sounds to me like Word-style thinking!

Note that I'm not used to bullets etc BUT. In WordPerfect when you
select text and format it it puts on/off markers round the text. Hitting
"end" takes you PAST those markers. So you *have* just told it to go
back to the defaults!

What effect clicking on the bullet icon would have I don't know. As I
said, I don't use bullet points in the normal course of events. But I
would typically EXPECT (3), and have been known to get infuriated at
Word because I can't work out how to get *past* the formatting of the
previous paragraph, and back to default formatting (that said,
WordPerfect is now copying Word more and more and I've cursed Word-like
behaviour there! :-( Trying to get the new versions of WordPerfect to
behave like WordPerfect can be an absolute nightmare :-(

You are probably thinking in Word mode where formatting is stored in the
"end of paragraph" marker? So if you go to the end of the line (or if
there's no end-of-paragraph marker to move past), you're stuffed as far
as reverting to the default goes :-(

Cheers,
Wol