[Libreoffice] [libreoffice-l10n] Re: Update of the localization files

Sophie Gautier gautier.sophie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 10:00:24 PST 2010

Hi Kendy,
On 29/12/2010 20:31, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> Hi Sophie,

>>> We are still working towards a plan how to cherry pick or merge from OOo
>>> from now on, so do not expect any huge changes in the next 2 weeks or
>>> so ;-)  We have to evaluate the possibilities first, but most probably,
>>> this will be more on case-by-case basis, ie. the amount of strings to
>>> translate will grow at reasonable pace, not a huge drop of stuff to
>>> translate from a day to day.
>>
>> Our concerns here, with Olivier and the few of us not doing localization
>> for OOo any more, is that the localization will be done by someone else,
>> may be a professional agency. Most of the time the quality is very very
>> low because the agencies know nothing about the product where we work
>> with it and localize it since years. So, no matter the amount of
>> strings, if we are sure of the consistency and we do not have to
>> research in the files to ensure it. Currently there is a little more
>> than 6000 new/fuzzy words until DEV300m90, it's not so much and even
>> less if we have a long deadline ;)
>
> Ah, maybe I understand now ;-)  So of course, it is up to you to define
> if you want to have the translations merged from the OOo tree to the LO
> tree for 3.4, or not.  I understand it that you'd prefer not to, ie.
> l10n repo (containing the localize.sdf's) untouched by the merges from
> OOo, right?

That was what I was not sure about: all the new features and bug fixes
for OOo will be merged to the LO tree for 3.4.

In that case yes, we want the l10n repo merged and containing all the
new features or fixes strings from OOo. And the sooner the better
whatever the amount of strings :-)
So that means that we can extract the strings from the last OOoDEV and
merge them with our LO file to have the complete (UI+HC2) set of strings
up to date until now?

Thanks to you and your patience Kendy :)
Kind regards
Sophie