[Libreoffice] [PATCH] Fix bug where an opening quote mark is treated as a word

John LeMoyne Castle jlc at mail2lee.com
Fri Nov 5 18:13:39 PDT 2010

Hi all, 
Ok, after getting over a short-term dislike of Word Count - with a new found
appreciation for some of the developer comments in OOo issuezilla - I had a
new idea for a test plan.  Perhaps turning on the Scanner clipping has
*accidentally*  fixed the quote problem as well.  Although I intended to
make no changes within the SwScanner  --  the two changes at issue are
small:  Mattias fix of specifying the ScriptType for the fancy punctuation
is one initializer in an array, and the Scanner clipping on/off is a Boolean
true/false parameter on the SwScanner constructor.  So hoping for quick
clarity, I backed out both changes. 

Of course the plan fell apart at step 1) - can see the packaging of core-04
involving libswli.so and core-05 involving new i18npool.so - also did full
rm-Rf install and make dev-install to make sure I get the new stuff.  - both
changes removed - Still no 'leading special quote extra word' [LSQEW]
problem with quotes from an existing file or quotes newly inserted into a
Get LSQEW on Oracle OOo 3.2 Linux on Lucid. 
Get LSQEW on LibO Beta2 on Win Vista.
I can not recreate it in dev.  
In case some other change in CountWords fixed it I tried rolling the history
back.  After a bunch of 
> git diff HEAD~<dozens> -- ./txtedt.cxx 
including a binary search to pin down the point just before our changes - a
few weeks ago -
I rolled CountWords back -40 with: 
> git checkout -f HEAD~40 ./txtedt.cxx
Saw the code as it was before any of our changes.  Built soffice and ran but
still no LSQEW.  Know I built the old version txtedt.cxx because Char excl
spaces was always zero.  And selections across a leading special quote still
always gave the 'correct' MSWord count.  
Looked further back ~200-500 and very few changes in CountWords (nParaAll++
insertion; 2 changes in TxtNode member names; change in ParaDataImpl_
WrongList type) .  Did similar look back in history for the breakiterator
file and few changes there as well.  
*Maybe a closer look at the scanner or the iterator will turn up something 
-- but further back than the copyright change not likely to help since it
shows as broken in Beta 2 and in current OOo for Lucid from Ubuntu.
If you try the 'go back machine' you may need to search a further back than
40 because of any commits to origin/master since my test (11/5).  In this
search it helped to step back partway before the last larger set of changes
to be able to see the earlier changes.  Easy to see far enough because the
new field in ParaDataImplwhatever showed at the bottom of the diff.  When
done  'cleaned up' the local config with 
> git checkout -f origin/master ./txtedt.cxx 
Still new to git but I am sure I saw and built and ran the old txtedt.cxx
and still no LSQEW.  Feelin' a bit lost ... I can think of some other
options for trying to find what fixed the LSQEW but I feel like I'm chasing
ghosts where they aren't.   Maybe I have a magic bug eating build setup. I
hope not -- that would make troubleshooting impossible ;-) 

Puzzled but not daunted --  LeMoyne

View this message in context: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/PATCH-Fix-bug-where-an-opening-quote-mark-is-treated-as-a-word-tp1841260p1851684.html
Sent from the Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

More information about the LibreOffice mailing list