[Libreoffice] [QA] Existing practice & open questions

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Thu Nov 11 00:55:02 PST 2010

Hi,

following is a list of current QA practices I'm aware of:

Current
=======

New bugs come in, get assigned to the
libreoffice-bugs at lists.freedesktop.org bug alias (throw me a mail if
you want to be added there), and then get triaged / assigned to
developers.

Here's the list of people covering certain areas of LibO (so you know
whom to assign to):

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/LibreOffice/FindTheExpert

If you need additional info from the reporter, Kendy suggested this:

----- 8< -----
Whiteboard: infoprovider:address at of.the.info.provider
Addition Comments: Please provide the missing strace, and also the exact
                   steps to reproduce, etc.
----- 8< -----

When the info is provided, you'd reset Whiteboard and remove NEEDINFO
from Keywords.

There's one more nice keyword - 'patch' - for bugs with a patch
attached.

More random info: this useful script to enrich OOo issuezilla:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/87923

Desirable/Missing
=================

 * translation bugs - whom to assign them to? It would be cool to have
   one contact per established NL project in the FindTheExpert list
 * crazy bugs - want LibO as a mail client, video editor, picture
   editor, twitter client, etc. - what to do with those? close them,
   probably - but maybe move the gist to some wiki CrazyFeatures page?
 * list of assignees is too small - we'd need more subject area
   experts
 * very hard to see whether there's any input in bugs - need to
   manually take the needinfo off - nobody does it, since it's not
   automatic - can we add that to the greasemonkey script (and where
   is the script)?
 * Bug and feature targets - what prio and severity for which kind of
   problem, and what must/should be fixed for a next release? Should
   we also introduce something like a suggested target release (aka
   OOo 3.x, OOo later etc.)?
 * we need nightly builds!
 * suggestion: provide pdb files for win32, so one can use windbg
   there
 * encourage people to add stack traces for crashes / hangs to their
   bugs - merge stack trace dupes from fdo -> is there a floss tool to
   do fuzzy stack trace matching?
 * when a crash happens - want proper crash reporting - suggest to
   install debug packages, point to wiki page for further help, for
   obtaining proper backtraces. Along the lines of
   http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Bugreport_OOo I think.

Feedback appreciated - especially for the last section. ;)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten