[Libreoffice] [gentoo-dev] LibreOffice project: request for contributors and mentoring

David Nelson commerce at traduction.biz
Sat Nov 13 23:40:19 PST 2010

Hi, :-)

After I posted on the Gentoo devs list, there was this reply, which
I'm posting here. I was wondering whether someone from the LibreOffice
devs would like to jump in and respond? (I posted this follow-up to
both lists.)

To sign up for the Gentoo devs list: gentoo-dev at lists.gentoo.org
To sign-up for the LibO devs list:
To view this message entirely:
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_6d65d86d8ff498eedb95435c35fc4fad.xml

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 09:13, Stuart Longland wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 05:40:03PM +0800, David Nelson wrote:
>> A number of Linux distributions have announced their intention to ship
>> LibreOffice with their future releases. We know that they frequently
>> do re-branding work to integrate their chosen office suite in lines
>> with their project's thinking.
>>
>> So we are keen to involve you in our project branding and development,
>> so that we ship releases that better fit your needs.
>
> Do we even brand OpenOffice?  I can't spot the difference between the
> self-built OpenOffice.org binary I have, and the official Sun binary I
> had previously.
>
> My concern with LibreOffice would be more to do with compiling it...
> it'd be a nice package to have on the Yeeloong, but AFAIK it needs
> Java..?  Something I've been trying to bootstrap unsuccessfully for the
> best part of two years now.  (gcj-jdk is a long way from usable, and
> there's a chicken-egg issue with icedtea6.)  It also needs _lots_ of RAM
> and disk space ... not a plentiful resource on MIPS.

HTH.

David Nelson