[Libreoffice] [gentoo-dev] LibreOffice project: request for contributors and mentoring

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Sun Nov 14 04:25:13 PST 2010

On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 15:40 +0800, David Nelson wrote:
> > My concern with LibreOffice would be more to do with compiling it...
> > it'd be a nice package to have on the Yeeloong, but AFAIK it needs
> > Java..?  Something I've been trying to bootstrap unsuccessfully for the
> > best part of two years now.
> (gcj-jdk is a long way from usable, and
> > there's a chicken-egg issue with icedtea6.)  It also needs _lots_ of RAM
> > and disk space ... not a plentiful resource on MIPS.

FWIW, I've built inside qemu mips with the debian mips install a few
times (little and big endian) successfully with ecj/gcj or whatever is
the default Debian java solution on mips.)

There's always the --disable-java stuff as well which can be handy to
get a "proof-of-concept" install set.

(Note that the mips LibreOffice port is the 32 bit "classic abi" (o32 or
whatever it called) not n32 or o64 or the rest of the large families of
ABI that he mips seems to have collected.)

C.

p.s.
I Always planned to get some real mips hardware and poke at adding
support for the other mips abi variants.