[Libreoffice] Presenter Console

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Wed Nov 24 13:16:05 PST 2010

Hi Andrew,

just to throw in some thoughts, since a friend of mine designed the
Presenter Console quite some time ago. The "specification" can be found
here [1].

Am Samstag, den 20.11.2010, 18:02 +0000 schrieb Andrew:
> On 19/11/10 20:02, Kevin Hunter wrote:
> > At 1:19pm -0500 Fri, 19 Nov 2010, Andrew wrote:
> >> Could you give me your opinion, as to which is best?
> >>
> >> 1st - As it currently is
> >> 2nd - Smaller font, no use of bold, 'filled' icons
> >> 3rd - Smaller font, no use of bold, 'line drawing' icons

I ask myself why there is a need to reduce the size of the font. The
rationale of a presenter console is, that people usually don't sit in
front of the computer - they present their slides to the auditorium.
Thus, the large font size is intentional to make the text readable.

> The issue with 1 is that the icons are inconsistent. The arrows are
> filled in, but the other two icons are outlined, it just looks strange
> to me.

Here, two things are mixed - the arrows might not be filled, but the
"fill" makes it easier to grasp the shape of the arrow (one of the few
shapes people can grasp easily).

The other two icons do behave different - they are not only actions, the
symbol visualizes "notes on", or "slide overview on" via fill. So,
again, the difference between non-filled and filled icons is
intentional. Changing (only) that, removes the sense of this "status
message".

Consequently, if you want to change the visual design of the icons,
please have in mind to substitute the "status message" with something
equal. But, please don't use color, since then you'll run into problems
with regard to defective vision.

Hope this helps ...

Cheers,
Christoph